Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Grace VS. Truth or Grace AND Truth

A few weeks ago our pastor taught out of John 2-3:21.  I can't get that messge out of my head.  One of the things he said - and I can't remember if he quoted it - was, "Grace without truth becomes license.  Truth without grace becomes legalism."  As we know, Jesus was the perfect blend of TRUTH and GRACE.  I'm not!  I tend to be on the Grace team or on the Truth team.  I'm not necessarily loyal to either team, I switch sides like a spy!
I feel like in our world today we truly have too many people on team Grace.  Team Truth often gets a bad reputation because often truth hurts and it is hard to hear!  Jesus was the perfect blend of Truth and Grace.  He turned water into wine.  He through the money changes out of the temple.  He knew what to say, when to say it, and how to say it.  The older I have gotten - and I'm still not there yet - I am learning to keep my big mouth shut.  The younger me would often been found saying, "I will never _____________ because ______________."  Laugh now because many of those things I have done, and become quite accomplished in those fields.
How do we follow Christ's example when we are dealing with a moody teenager?  How about with an elderly father?  The kid that had the parent die?  The kids that has the really sick parent?  The kid that just won't stop talking?  How about the Type A husband?  The loud music playing in the middle of the night neighbor?  I don't know, but I am asking God to show me how.

No comments:

Post a Comment