Wednesday, March 4, 2015

How does time fly?

My dad is 90.  I am 47.  Please understand that I have always been and will always be a daddy's girl.  He loves me well.  When he needs something I am his helper and advocate.  Last week he needed to have a couple of ALL day medical treatments, so that took up about 2 days that I had scheduled as normal days.  I am happy to help him.  My husband is happy I am able to help him.  The weekend was full, and so things have literally piled up around here.  I was looking forward to winter break.
 
We homeschool.  However, my son takes outside classes at Artios Academies.  I also work at Artios.  Well, this week was winter break.  I was really looking forward to a week with a pretty open schedule.  Then it happened.  The director of the middle school production of Artios asked my son to be the stage manager, which filled most of the week.  I scheduled a doctor's appointment because it had to happen.  I scheduled a hair appointment because those roots were showing my age (and wisdom - and who wants to be a show off?).  We needed to get a passport for the same son for a missions's trip this summer.  Time was spent on the phone trying to figure out who needs what shots for the trip.  The final big swim meet is this weekend.  OH!  Brad, my husband turns the BIG 50, and I need to get him his gift.  AND I need to bake him a cake, and schedule something to celebrate him!  Time just disappears!
Well this BIG 50 birthday really has me reflecting life with him.  (And right now I am wondering why this is a different font when I didn't do anything differently.)  I met him when he was 22.  Somehow over the last couple of years we have managed to have 4 kids, who are 24, 21, 19 and 16.  Truly, how did that happen so quickly?!  We have somehow lived in our current home for about 19 years.  Didn't we just buy this house?
All this has me thinking and reflecting on what has happened in my life.  I wouldn't go back and do it again without knowing what I know now.  If I could go back knowing what I know now, would I do a better job?  Looking back I see how faithful God has been towards me - and my family.  Even though there have been MANY stressful situations, God has always been right there.  At times I found myself just looking around for Him, and He was there through ALL OF IT!  We have also been blessed beyond measure.
As I have reflected on time I find comfort in knowing the God is with me.  Seriously, I am so thankful this was winter break or I would have to do all this extra stuff with the normal stuff!  I am thankful I have a husband who is turning 50, and I love him more now that when we were starting out.
I think when I was younger I worried about all the "extra" things thrown into my schedule.  Now, even though they aren't without their stresses, I realize that God is in control of my schedule, and that "Laying down my life" can mean "Laying down my schedule".  MAYBE I am supposed to encourage the nurse at the doctor's office when I am with my dad?  Maybe the clerk at the store where I am buying my husband a gift needs a polite customer?
It's what's in my head today....

No comments:

Post a Comment