Thursday, April 16, 2015




The Captive Imposter
Dawn Crandall

Preconceived impressions can be dangerous!  Keeping past wrongdoings in a present mindset can also be dangerous.   Elle Stoneburner is going along with what her family has decided is best for her life.  She finds herself jobless, and at the mercy of a complicated man, Dexter Blakeley.  Even with his complications he provides a home and a job for Elle.  Although the job requires her to deal with 3 women with past issues, Elle tries to make the best of it.  Who is this Estella?  (I won’t spoil it for you!)
Elle’s past has her believing that she is invisible – unnoticed.   Dexter’s past has built a wall around his heart.
Dawn Crandall does a great job of developing her characters.  I like how she lets you in on their persona, but not all the way in.  She feeds you little tidbits about them as you continue to read.  Her style really holds my interest, which is saying plenty about my ADD mind!  Crandall also weaves minor characters into the story, and although they are flat, you understand who they really are.
Dawn Crandall also does a great job “painting her picture with words.”  I feel as though I could draw Everston, the spring, and the church in the hollow.
I am left wondering what happens to Vance?  Violet?  And what about Roxy?

 

A verse that kept coming to my mind while reading this book was:

 

Isaiah 43:18-19New International Version (NIV)

18 “Forget the former things;
 do not dwell on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
 and streams in the wasteland.

For me it is so easy to hold on to preconceived ideas about people, or wrongs that have been done to me (or my people) in the past.  However, it is wrong.  Christ often uses our past in our future.
One of my favorite quotes from the book is this one: “After all, no one is perfect.  But that’s part of the commitment you make when you marry – to always love your spouse, flaws and all.” OH, if people would live this statement in real life there would be fewer broken homes.
I have read all three books in this series, and although I enjoyed the first 2, this one was my favorite!  READ THIS BOOK!

Check out Dawn's Blog for some fun giveaways!   



No comments:

Post a Comment