Thursday, April 16, 2015







The Disappearance of Emily H.
Barrie Summy

            Let me start by saying I am an adult reading this book that targets ages 10 and up.  Thank you Delacorte Books for Young Readers for the advanced reader copy.
            Raine is a middle school girl with somewhat of a 6th sense.  She is able to see “sparkles” on people that allow her to see into their lives.  She lives with her mom who really doesn’t understand what it means to be a mom.  They move from place to place – mom from boyfriend to a fresh start.  Raine finds herself, again, the new girl in the school.  The story contains the stereotypical people in the school: mean girls, cute boys, socially awkward former homeschooled girl, bullies – I could go on.
            Mysteries start to surface, and Raine uses her 6th sense to figure them out.   How to handle bullies is a thread throughout this story.  Since Raine have moved several times, she is able to easily spot the different ‘social groups.’

            Will Raine solve the mystery?  Will the bullies get their due?  I don’t want to be a spoiler!   Not my favorite book I have ever read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment